Friday, October 16, 2009

Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins



Okay, dear readers, I'm coming out of the closet, so to speak. My posting may have become a bit less frequent these past few months. That's because I've started an exciting new project. My friends here in town own a small coffee shop, and they have let me come in and do some of the baking for them - homemade breads, delicious muffins, and fresh pastries and desserts. It's been so much fun! Here is one of the recipes that I tried out at our little café this week. They are pretty much the ultimate fall muffin!!



Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins
adapted from BakeSpace via Annie's Eats

3 cups flour
3 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 ½ teaspoons ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 eggs
1 ¼ cups vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 cups pumpkin puree

4 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 ounces marscapone cheese, softened
½ cup powdered sugar

½ cup brown sugar
½ cup flour
4 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

First, prepare the filling. Combine the cream cheese, marscapone cheese, and powdered sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy. Form into a log on plastic wrap or foil, making sure that the diameter is small enough to fit into the well of a muffin pan. Wrap the log up tightly and freeze for at least one hour.

Preheat the oven to 350°. Line muffin pans with paper liners for 24 muffins.

To make the muffin batter, combine the flour, spices, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. Whisk together and set aside. In the bowl of your electric mixer, combine the eggs, the oil, the sugar and the pumpkin. Beat until well combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just the flour is moistened.

To make the streusel topping, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix together with a pastry blender or your fingers until crumbly.

Next, fill each muffin cup halfway with batter. Remove the cheesecake log from the freezer and slice into 24 pieces. Place a slice in each muffin well. Divide the remaining muffin batter evenly among the muffin cups, covering up the cheesecake pieces. Sprinkle the streusel topping over the top of each muffin. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool completely on racks before serving.

8 comments:

Wendy K said...

I would love to try this, but I don't know where to get mascarpone (I had to look it up!). Any suggestions or substitutes? Thanks - I love trying your recipes!

Patty said...

These are my absolute favorite muffins ever! They are the BEST breakfast in the fall and winter! YUM!

Katie said...

*drooling* Ellie, I HAVE HAVE HAVE to make these!!!

Unknown said...

these def sound like heaven!

Jade said...

Congrats on baking for the cafe'! These look wonderful!

Kerstin said...

How cool, have you been enjoying all the baking? :) I'd pay for these muffins, they look fabulous!

Colleen said...

Mmm, I made these like 2 years ago and love them - thanks for the reminder to make them again!

Ask Ms Recipe said...

Your pumpkin cheesecake muffins look so good. I love both pumpkin,and cheese cake so I get a little of both.
Ms R

 

Made by Lena